Clamp Operator-Distribution Warehouse
To operate a Forklift truck in order to process manufacturer goods (load, unload, stack, palletize, unpalletized, unstack, move, and remove) either in the distribution warehouse or in a store warehouse, under the general direction from line supervisors; and to do other work as required. The Forklift operator position can only be attained by promotion or transfer within BrandsMart USA. Although not an entry-level position, proficiency in Forklift operation must be demonstrated. The hourly position can either be full time or part time. Individuals are hired for distribution center or store warehouse as the position is common to both areas.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operators must be able to operate machinery in such a manner as to not cause any damage to product, the building, customer property or co-workers.
- Load and unloads trucks. Each driver must be able to place merchandise on a truck or a trailer or remove merchandise from a truck or a trailer. Products arrive at each warehouse or distribution center either direct from the manufacturer or from another store in cartons weighing from 5 to 250 pounds. These must be transported to a designated staging area, neatly stacked, and counted.
- Operators must sort the product, count the items, and verify that the items match the quantity, color and specifications on the shipping documents. This information must be verified on either a manual ledger or computer terminal.
- Depending on the nature of the product being sorted verification may involve identification of products by size, style, color, make, model, and quantity.
- Operators must be able to move boxes or pallets and/or stacks of boxes to stock areas and organize product for second, verification count.
- Operators must be able to place or retrieve product from warehouse stacking area without disrupting adjacent stacks of product or causing damage to any merchandise.
- On some shifts, Operators will not perform any unloading operations at all. The duties could be limited to moving boxes from pallets to distribution or sorting areas or restacking warehouse sections or loading intercompany shipments. Operators are expected to perform these operations in excess of 100 boxes per hour.
Required Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school or any other combination of education, training or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to accurately perform the above requirements.
- Prior experience in a BrandsMart USA warehouse is required. A minimum of two years prior warehouse or distribution center experience along with experience operating a forklift truck is required. BrandsMart U.S.A will site certify employees indicating proficiency in forklift operation within a reasonable amount of time.
- No special license is required. Valid Florida Driver’s license is required.
Required Skills and Competencies:
Must be familiar with all the basic mechanical functions of a forklift truck. This includes levers for raising and lowering the fork carriage, side shifters, brake mechanisms, driving forward and backward all in a manner as to not endanger the truck, the building or other employees.
Must fully understand the operation of and have the ability to use a forklift truck with forks extended, with a basaloid attachment in place and with appliance clamps and box clamps in place. Ability to read English (or other language as may be required for one specific store) sufficiently to read identifying information on manufacturer’s boxes, invoices or other materials and information.
- Basic English writing skills for completion of various written paperwork and accompanying goods that are processed.
- Basic math skills, including addition and subtraction, necessary to be able to count and sort goods received from manufacturer.
- Ability to grasp and lift or otherwise move goods up to 75 pounds unassisted and 150 pounds with assistance a distance of 50 feet the number of times per hour required by BrandsMart USA. These tasks usually require the use of two arms and hands and a moderate level of strength in both arms and hands.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by team members assigned to this classification. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by team members assigned to this classification.